Thursday, June 3, 2010

FREAK! Jesus Freak

Whew! I've had quite the jam-packed past few days. I apologize for not keeping you better updated. This week has been such a whirlwind of events! Beautiful events of course.

Why the harsh title? 1. I just re-watched last weeks episode of Glee featuring music from Lady Gaga, who is in fact, a freak. Nevertheless, I'm entertained and therefore strangely captivated by her nonsense. 2. I was so nervous about making friends here, remember? Well no need, because throughout the week I've slowly been going back to my strange ways and after 2 cups of coffee today (strange because I have coffee about once every 6 months), I couldn't contain my self any more! I'm strange. Let's face it

So yes! I have in fact made friends! Very good friends, I'd say. I love them! I can completely be every part of ridiculous me. I laugh uncontrollably, and I love it! They are so much fun :)) Making this whole experience, that much better!

I meant to blog about 2 days ago, but honestly, time just got away from me. I haven't had a great deal of time to be reading my Bible, but I try and keep God on my mind all the time. He's like my imaginary friend. Minus the whole imaginary part. Or like my second personality! Besides it not being me at all...Well, you get it! I know it's not enough, our relationship is always best when I spend a lot of time reading and spending quality time with Him, I am just attempting to find routine here. I hate to make God routine, but it's what I need to keep me focused. For now at least. Anyways, I did get the chance to read a few days ago, and I felt like I learned an important lesson, but I can't think of it right now. I'm sure I'll remember when I need to :))

For now, I'd like to tell you about my day! It's not all that interesting, but then again it always is when God's involved, right?

So I woke up. Went to seminar. Headed to the library to catch up on some light 96 page dissertation papers. I'm reading and reading and I had to leave around 11:45 to get to lab about 11:55. Having my first cup of coffee because I was super tired and I look outside and it's pouring. Not just pouring. No, it was like God cut a huge hole in the heavens and straight poured water on the LSU campus. I had taken my bike, and because of that, had no umbrella. Either I walk and get wet or I ride my bike and get wet, so I took my chances with the bike. I made it there, soaked and just barely on time, which here means late, but Dr. Henry understood.

Remember when I wanted to go to South Carolina? Because Dr. Moss does research on Alzheimer's disease as well. It's the phase 2?? Well God made everything about coming to Baton Rouge everything I wanted :))

Not only is my research here over Alzheimer's disease, it's another method of treatment. It might sound pointless, but I want to be as well rounded on the subject as possible. Today when we were discussing the project, I was completely fascinated by what he does, and I just felt like the biggest nerd because I understood it. When I didn't understand, he fully explained it! I feel like I know more about this than I do about what I do in Fayetteville! Which really I know very little about either...but does that make sense? I was carrying on a complete, nerdy, scientific conversation. I was able to turn around and explain the whole thing to him to make sure I completely understood. Then, I posed my own research question that he hadn't thought of and he said it'd be interesting to see and work on when I got home :)) Thanks God, you always pull through.

The lab here is really different. A lot more laid back, but that's because this lab is for biomaterials instead and flammable chemicals. What did I do today? I started my first 5 cell cultures! I separated them into 5 different flasks and then named them! What did I name them? But of course...Edward, Bella, Alice, Jasper and my spare flask is named Jacob. Haha, cruel, but it follows the book :))

I kinda drew the short stick as far as peer mentors go here. Don't get me wrong! Mine is really nice. Too nice. And very helpful. But too helpful. He doesn't speak english well and he's not even an engineer. God fixed that too. Dhruva :)) He's the graduate assistent for Dr. Henry. It's actually his project that he'll share with me for a month. He's brilliant! After we finished in lab today, we went for coffee and he answered all my questions about graduate school. He seriously may be the smartest person I know. And not strange and not too helpful or too nice. Just right.

We left the coffee place only to find that it had started to pour again, without warning. Again. So I got back on my bike, attempting to protect my precious lab papers, camera and phone and get to the meeting we had in just 5 minutes. It being hot in Baton Rouge, I was wearing a sleevless shirt, but going into lab meant wearing jeans. My sandals started to get slick and I had water in my ear so it was hard for me to not only hear cars, but be able to tell where they were coming from. I started praying very quickly and as I looked right for cars to cross the street I didn't look left until I had almost gotten hit. Same time? My wet sandal slides off of the pedal and scrapes the back of my ankle. It wasn't until I had gotten inside that I realized I was not only bleeding profusely, but managed to get rocks wedged in, lol. I'm fine :)) Nothing a few bandaids won't take care of!

What am I worried about? Getting sick. It's bad enough when it's a hot box outside and you walk into any building and it's a partial igloo, but the temperature change is even worse when you're soaked. Twice. Obviously, I'm a big baby. I don't want to get sick because that means taking care of myself, which I'm not even sure if I'm qualified to do. But like everything else that happened today, I am sure that God will take care of me. No matter what. In whatever bad situation I may get myself into, God will always be a constant in my life. My very own Clark Kent.

Thank you so much for your prayers! There's not a doubt in my mind that God has heard us all. Will hear us all. Will always hear us all. And will always deliver, even when I can't quite work Him in. Praise God!

Je t'amie! I'll let you know how my baby cells are doing before I kill them with amyloid-beta and then attempt to cure them. With what? Sugars no less. Definitely my babies :))

And no, I actually can't read this out of necessity for every spare moment of my days now! Off to study graduate school applications! Bonne nuit! Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment